You’ve probably heard enough about pandemic stuff to make your brains leak out of your ears. I’m with you. Whenever my well-meaning neighbor gets on the subject, I can feel imminent cerebral leakage occurring. Please don’t think that I’m not concerned–I have no intention of making little the pain this is causing too many people–but we have to push on. We need to help each other to stay positive, get through it, perhaps even thrive!
In that vein, I would like to offer a little comfort to those of us who are “sheltering in place” to prevent it from getting worse.
For those of us stuck indoors without our jobs, afraid to go out and get breathed on, there are many ready distractions to keep us from thinking about the outside world or our own growing cabin fever. These include:
- Watching too much CNN or other news channels, where horror is the name of the game, because they believe good news won’t keep you watching
- Bingeing Netflix and cable streams to keep your brain from thinking anything at all for long spells at a time
- Gaming and other virtual realities (my favorite is Second Life) where we can mentally escape this planet altogether
Distracting ourselves in these ways isn’t a bad way to keep the troubles of the world from overwhelming us (well, except for the first one), but from personal experience it’s not a very fulfilling life at the end of the day. Is it?
Here’s a question you might not have asked yourself lately, with all this other stuff going on:
Do (or did) you have a dream?
Something you’ve always wanted to accomplish with your life, but never seemed to have the time, because you were too busy trying to make ends meet. While you’re thinking fondly on that, here’s another question:
Wouldn’t this be a great time to pursue that dream?
Thanks to the Internet and all kinds of tools, schools, and pools of people online looking for collaborators to do the same thing, perhaps this is the time to:
- Retool, to make yourself better, faster, stronger
- Refocus on what you really want to do with your life
- Explore the many ways others have succeeded where you want to go
- Brainstorm the steps you might take to progress toward your dream
If you’re stuck at home without work, like me, isn’t this exactly what some of us were wishing for–a break from all that mandatory mundane life, to make something of our own? Well, here you are…
This is your time.